Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Tribute from Pete Carroll--fellow missionary , dear friend, sounds like Bryce if you listen closely

For Bryce:

1. Bryce was good. He was inherently good. He was trusting. He unassumingly expected nothing but goodness from you too. And with me he got it. He brought out goodness in me.
2. Bryce was clean. He had a spiritual purity that I respect. He was also physically clean. I am sure that he exerted a great deal of patience with me when we used to live together. He went out of his way to be clean. This is a facet of God’s character that he understood. He knew that the spirit resides in orderly places. He took better care of his teeth than anyone I have ever known!
3. Bryce was an excellent teacher. He knew the gospel was true and he understood it clearly. He made sure that others knew the same. There was an engaging nature to his teaching. He did not fear saying the clear-cut things that are sometimes skirted around because they are difficult. He taught those things in a great demonstration of being bold without overbearance.
4. Bryce loved purple Gatorade.
5. Bryce loved his family. He loved his roots. He spoke particularly highly of his parents. I never knew another missionary to express respect for great parental influence with such frequency. He recognized the blessing of righteous parents. He was proud of his whole family – and rightly so.
6. Bryce was accommodating. The Lord, who, among other things, allowed him to train many new missionaries, recognized this. He was put in many uncomfortable situations. He bore it. His reaction was never “I give up”. For this he was greatly blessed.
7. Bryce was fun. We cooked together. We snowboarded together. We loved doing missionary work together. We mutually laughed.
8. Bryce was faithful. He was not afraid to follow the council of prophets. I know that he believed in the Plan of Salvation. I know that he knew that the plan is true because of the way he taught it and the way he lived it.
9. Bryce was diligent. He recognized the urgency of the work of the Lord and acted accordingly. I know that he, even now, recognizes that urgency. And I would suspect that, even now, he is acting accordingly.



I love you, Bryce. I am a better person because I knew you. I will miss not having you here in mortality, but I pray that one day I will see you again. Until then, keep well.

Love,

A Friend

1 comment: