Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Message from companion: Elder Richard Bean

Dear Family and Friends,
It was tough hearing about my dear companion Bryce Christensen. After faithfully serving a mission and being my companion from July 21st 2008 to September 2nd 2008, he was killed in a car accident near Provo, Utah. I have been thinking what I could say that could express my thoughts and feelings; scriptures came to mind –
D&C 7:2, "…Lord, give unto me power over death, that I may live and bring souls unto thee." He was a very diligent companion – who loved and cared for the people he served.
D&C 202:36, "Wherefore, fear not even unto death; for in this world your joy is not full, but in me your joy is full."
D&C 138:57. He is continuing to do what he does so well.

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family – one of great faith. I know he and his funny personality are doing great work in the next life. To tell you a bit of who he was:
-It was his idea to name every piece of furniture in the boarding.
-We also named our swimming pool outside "garth" (we never used it, don't worry) – "Give it to Garth!!!"
-We had a contest to see how many pieces of gum we could chew in our mouth.
-We celebrated his 21st birthday party in the house of Bro. Mbulelo. We played drums, ate cake, and sang songs. 30 people came over and celebrated it with us – all because the sound of the drum.
-He loved small cookies called "buiscuts". We bought many of them (about 2 cents each)
-We taught Sister Nozuko who was baptized about 6 weeks after he left the area. He was a major role in her becoming converted.
-He influenced so many other people he met including me. What a wonderful brother.

No comments:

Post a Comment