Saturday, January 10, 2009

Bryce's life from Sister-in-law Natalie


I didn't get to know Bryce the way I had been hoping and expecting to know him. I just read an entry in his journal from 2003 three that said, "Tyler is getting a wife in September." I was laughing so hard because that was our relationship at the beginning, "the wife of Tyler." He didn't know what to make of this new person. But I remember him at that time being very reserved, then he would suddenly spout out something incredibly funny. I loved him being there.
Tyler and I left Utah for the next two years while he was in High School. I would only see him in passing during our visits. Though I barely knew him I was intrigued at how he lived life. He passed an air of just 'hanging out', yet he worked very hard in areas that interested him: music, snowboarding and video. I anxiously waited to see what profession he chose. I doubted that he would pursue an academically oriented career, but I was sure he was a creative genius that would surprise us all.
We were all excited that he chose to serve a mission and the South Africa mission seemed to be perfect. I guess that had been the first time he had ever gotten on an air plane, but something as adventurous as Africa was fitting. It was exciting to watch him grow on his mission and hear his testimony develop even stronger. I imagined his character taking a major shift as he saw the living conditions of those he taught. Though I hadn't gone on a foreign mission, I had still experienced that and thought Bryce was likely having a similar experience. I saw his feelings for his family grow stronger, I'm guessing as he tried to teach adults to pray, read the scriptures and live the gospel he realized he had learned these skills from very dedicated parents. It makes you humbly aware of how much you have been blessed in life.
Needless to say, Bryce came back a different person. He was still cool, laid back and incredibly funny, but he was different. I had already imagined how well I would get to know Bryce. I talked with my son Eli about Bryce and where he had been serving. I could tell, though it was awkward, Bryce really wanted to know his niece and nephew. And I really wanted him to. Bryce was even trying to get to know me and there is no question in my mind that one day we will know each other quite well.
I am really going to miss you Bryce, I look forward to seeing you and learning about the creative genius you've become. :)

Take care,

love Natalie

No comments:

Post a Comment