Friday, June 5, 2009

The Cheese and Jam parable

This is a parable that Bryce wrote to explain how important it is to share your testimony of the Book of Mormon with investigators. Rather than giving you his interpretation in full I will post just the parable and you can make the connections that best apply to your own life.

The Cheese and Jam parable

I was in my first area on mission in Kwa Magxaki when the concept of cheese and jam was first introduced to me. I thought that was crazy—all I needed was cheese, jam would just make things gross. The idea was introduced to me by an African, so I figured it was just an African thing, they eat a lot of crazy things, I wasn’t even going to consider trying this cheese and jam idea.

Then, not too long after this, the concept ofcheese and jam was brought to me again, I was promised that it was good. It was another African who told me about this, I thought surely this is an African thing, I’m just going to stick with my cheese.

And so I remained in the dark, not willing to even try. Then sometime in a new area, the concept of cheese and jam was brought to me once more, this time by an American. So I guess it’s not just an African thing after all. I was assured once again that it really was good and that I just needed to try it. We had all the materials needed, it would be so easy. So this time I was persuaded, I gave in and tried the cheese and jam, and they were right—it was good.

4 comments:

  1. It's interesting how some people can hear about the gospel over and over and decide it's not for them - then hearing it again, from someone else, at just the right time, they realize what they've been missing and embrace the gospel. We shouldn't give up on someone just because they don't show an interest.
    Great parable. So good to hear Bryce's songs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's interesting how some people can hear about the gospel over and over and decide it's not for them - then hearing it again, from someone else, at just the right time, they realize what they've been missing and embrace the gospel. We shouldn't give up on someone just because they don't show an interest.
    Great parable. So good to hear Bryce's songs. This is from Jordan Langston's mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great parable. Bryce had a great way to word things. Silly but profound.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great parable. Bryce had a great way to word things. Silly but profound. From MandyW

    ReplyDelete